CrazyAsian

My Issues With The Server

So today alone i have had multiple issues playing i could make this a whole big fuck off essay (it ended up being an essay) but instead i will just summarize the main points and will elaborate on them if requested

1. The lack of/no role playing from some players- Today alone i have tried to kidnap 4 people for an RP situation but every time i try to talk with them they ignore the fact i have a weapon in their face and drive off or ignore my prompts that I've taken their comms or for them to drop their gun (this happened with a cop, 2 civis and an inde) after each time i would call them out in chat and players respond with stuff like 'what did you expect' or 'don't even try RP'. this is a pretty shitty mentality for an RP server to have imo. although im not really sure how you could fix it other then punishments for players not role playing.   

2. Rules regarding Offensive Words/References- This morning i got in trouble for calling another player 'Retard' and 'Melon' (i was in the wrong in this situation it was over what i thought was rdm but his hands up message got drowned out in chat from me buying items) after i shouted at him in chat some tlx members told me that offensive words/topics related to irl are not tolerated and to not use those words in future (im assuming they meant Retard and not Melon but who knows :D) but after this chat it occurred to me that last night there were people making jokes about the Florida school shooting literally minutes after it occurred saying that 'I did it' and that 'the students bullied them this morning so they killed them' this was during peak player times so there were a lot of people on so the messages could of slipped through unnoticed which i understand but i feel that what is and isn't allowed to be said should be defined before someone accidentally gets themselves in trouble for saying something they thought would be taken as banter or a joke but it actually offends someone which considering its the internet someone will always be offended.

3. some mods seems to not listen to a players defense/explanation- Bit of a touchy subject bringing mods into my issues i know don't want to get myself into trouble nor anyone else but i was in a mod case earlier where i had stolen an btr from the VIP/Supporter zone outside the cop base, i comp'd the owner of the btr his money and was about to leave when the mod told me that i would be getting a warning for stealing in a safe zone which i was shocked about since there was no marker on the map naming it a safe zone like civ terrorist hideout and the others so i tried to explain to the mod that i was unaware that it was the safe zone as it wasn't marked the VIP/Supporter role is reserved for people who donate to the server but that feature was taken out since that new policy came out from the devs or whoever it was that took away server donations so i figured the vip zones were just normal areas now alas the mod didn't want to hear what i was saying and gave me a warning which now makes it so i can't earn the supporter role for i believe a month, i think the warning was completely unnecessary considering i had no idea i couldn't steal from that zone and gladly comped the owner his money.

4. Bans- Bans are another iffy subject as each admin/mod will have a different tolerance/criteria for banning players but there are certain subjects that i feel bans shouldn't take place over for example Political views if someone disagrees with your political view i don't see why they should be punished or looked down upon, personally i have no issue with any political group because quite frankly i couldn't be arsed to but i know a player was permad recently for 'staff abuse' he was banned and unbanned multiple times for the same issue, he verbally disagreed with one of the mods over their political view, i understand verbal abuse probably took place too but i feel in order to avoid players being banned for different ideals then someone else bans should fall under a criteria instead of the mod/admins judgement as it can surely be affected if they dislike one player over another for their different views.

I said i was gonna try not make this an essay and made it an essay fuck sake (sorry) , if anyone is still reading this please feel free to respond with comments on my shitty grammar and lack of punctuation or you could tell me your opinions that'd be neat. Anyway sorry for the super long ranty useless rant but hey i was bored and want to contribute to the server so why not hope you enjoyed :D   

• Like 1

P.S This isn't meant to call anyone out or offend anyone so don't get offended...

there's a couple more incidents I've had over the past day or so but i don't want to bother typing for the next hour so the 'brief' summary above will have to do 

Edited by CrazyAsian

The first case is something the server has always suffered with.
And although I do have a number of suggestions of how to fix this, but most of them were ignored and honestly since retiring from staff, I'm kinda unsure just how much I want to put into a really detailed solution considering it'd probably never get listened too.

The second one, is something the current staff do need to address however. It's absolutely sickening to think anybody would make jokes about this incident, but even worse to think staff members would ignore it. I myself would have asked you to not refer to other players as a retard, but for staff to then ignore what was going on in global makes me further question some of the members of the current staff team.

Now the third case is where it really get's touchy and I'm gonna have to be honest.
Some people here won't like it, but I'm known for speaking my mind. The current state of the staff team is the biggest issue this community needs to over come. There are members of staff who quite simply, lack the maturity and ability to be staff on this server. To a point where I can even point at staff members who break, bend, abuse or simply don't know multiple rules.

How to tackle this? Honestly, the only way this will be solved is a full staff meeting, and people need to be told what is expected of them. There are multiple people whom are staff now who would never have passed the interviews I was giving. Should they be removed? No. But do they need some additional work? Definitely. 

I've played a little bit the past few days again, as I've had a bit more free time and the lack of staff on at a peek time and another incident, I was witness too... 

The final point, bans. Bans will always be difficult, BUT. Their is a reason we had a system on old TLX, now since stepping down from Staff Manager, I'm not sure what's changed. But if things remain the same as when I was here, such a system is lacking and from my experience playing and what I've heard it definitely seems this is the case.

Although I will say, there is a reason I made a suggestion that all political discussion should simply be not allowed on TLX. I won't get into that here, as I don't want to de-rail your topic however.

• Like 1

I can agree with some of these points you bring up.
Iv had dealings with admins/mods who were absolutely great, and others not so much. Not every staff member is going to be your friend. Life goes on.

The  offensive words/language is a random one, I was told to stop shit talking the other night or I would be banned. As you say.... it was light banter between me and a passenger of my vehicle, a bit of piss taking but nothing mean or offensive, but it was interpreted as so by someone else. No big deal, iv been grilled before. 

Role-play is a tough one to deal with, as above, it comes down to interpretation... what one person might think is legit RP, might come across as just pure shit, and an excuse to steal or kill to someone else without actual reason. 

As for bans, let that fucking hammer rain down glorious punishment. From what I have seen, the cunts who have been banned have all deserved it. Either for griefing, hacking, rule breaking or being straight up rude to staff/players. 

Hey Crazy, just wanted to say first and foremost, thank you for bringing this up with us.

In regards to the lack of roleplaying, im afraid that's just something you'll struggle to find on this kind of game. Personally, I find it much easier to find decent interactions when youre dealing with smaller numbers. When the server fills up it just becomes a case of kill or be killed, though even then I've found there to be small pockets of genuinely nice communication. Granted our recent experience in-game has been less than favourable, particularly in regards to the presidency (Immortal God King of Utopiastan) and your execution.
At the end of the day it all boils down to what kind of roleplay you want. You'll never bump into someone at a bakery and discover theyre your long lost brother, though if you try hard, choose the right people and circumstances, I've found I could have some good roleplay.

As for offensive words, everyone has their own idea of what is and is not offensive, you'll find that within the staff team there are some people who are more strict than others. Personally, I don't see a reason for people to use such language as often as it is used, and I'm of the opinion that letting people get away with saying one thing, it will only lead to an escalation in what they can say and inevitably lead to something that just cannot be forgiven. Everyone draw's their own lines, though if you think a line has been drawn too soon, understand that it is only with the intention of providing a safer space for people to play without harm.

To your third point, I'd suggest that I did listen entirely, and I think I was fair in the way that situation was dealt with. A warning is not the same as a strike against you. It is just that, a warning. Just wanted to make it especially clear that it is something that you shouldnt do, and that now that you've been informed about it, I hope not to see it happening again.
If you'd like to discuss the issue further, or if you'd like to talk about the way I handled it, by all means send me a poke, Im usually down in my office on teamspeak.

Onto the subject of ban's, again everyone draws their  own line in the sand, although here there is a general consensus on what is an acceptable ban. whether it is permanent or how long the temp ban should be. You mention ban's taking place over a players political position. I can assure you, this is not something that happens. The issue you are describing is one that has taken place over a long period of time, with countless warnings. The final decision was one that the mod in question did not make alone. I want you to feel at ease in knowing that, in my experience, perm ban's are issued with extreme caution, going out of our way to avoid them, and then only with a lot of discussion before a final decision is decided upon.

Thank you again for your time.

• Like 2

There are some people that enjoy roleplaying, as of the indie (Me) I thought you were cop :P sorry bro.. But I 100% agree with you with RP. We've RP'd at CPA while waiting for cops to come, and it was actually nice, well until you said you were Jewish. :)

I am not the best at writing but the fact that you are afraid of getting banned because you are simply stating your opinion shows that there is something wrong.

Now I believe staff shouldn’t make their own punishment, I believe there must be a List of punishments for certain broken rules and if there is one rule missing then just ask a higher up what punishment they should be given.

Now regarding offensive words I think its a waste of time to get triggered over them. I mean your aren’t doing any harm by calling anyone a “faggot”. And if that person does take offense to it they can just report the player and that player can get warned for Player disrespect. But honestly if you take offense to those kinds of words than why be in the internet overall?.

What really bothers me is that most of this reports are about staff. Like can we stop being a Decent server and become a Great server? Its always been a thing with TLX. Why is it that everytime the server is revived no one concentrates on Staff? I have been here for all the times the server has been revived and its been the same shit over and over again but, I do give you guys credit because this staff team is better than most staff teams I have seen in TLX so far so don’t stop there. Lets make it even better!! If this continues is gonna be the downfall of Takistan Life again. You are probably thinking of overeacting but, this has happened to soo many communitys its not even funny. Thanks for reading this.

Sorry for my shitty grammar 

Edited by Abel
  • Like 1

Agreed Abel, its not always the issues happening in a server that cause a decline in player numbers but more so the way things are handled by staff. People shouldn't be banned/warned for a bit of shit talking, but it comes down to interpretation at the end of the day. What one person says in jest one might take as a direct personal attack. Half the time when im calling people cunt its in the same manner as you Americans say "bruh" but not everyone will take it that way. 

4 hours ago, Abel said:

I am not the best at writing but the fact that you are afraid of getting banned because you are simply stating your opinion shows that there is something wrong.

Now I believe staff shouldn’t make their own punishment, I believe there must be a List of punishments for certain broken rules and if there is one rule missing then just ask a higher up what punishment they should be given.

Now regarding offensive words I think its a waste of time to get triggered over them. I mean your aren’t doing any harm by calling anyone a “faggot”. And if that person does take offense to it they can just report the player and that player can get warned for Player disrespect. But honestly if you take offense to those kinds of words than why be in the internet overall?.

What really bothers me is that most of this reports are about staff. Like can we stop being a Decent server and become a Great server? Its always been a thing with TLX. Why is it that everytime the server is revived no one concentrates on Staff? I have been here for all the times the server has been revived and its been the same shit over and over again but, I do give you guys credit because this staff team is better than most staff teams I have seen in TLX so far so don’t stop there. Lets make it even better!! If this continues is gonna be the downfall of Takistan Life again. You are probably thinking of overeacting but, this has happened to soo many communitys its not even funny. Thanks for reading this.

Sorry for my shitty grammar 

Okay, no. If you or anybody else called somebody a "faggot" they deserve to be banned for homophobia, just the same as racism should be a ban. There's simply no need to create a toxic, insulting environment.

However I do agree, "being afraid of getting banned for stating an opinion" is a huge issue that needs to be addressed.

Also, I've not really seen any reports about staff? I may have missed it though.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LordWookie said:

Okay, no. If you or anybody else called somebody a "faggot" they deserve to be banned for homophobia, just the same as racism should be a ban. There's simply no need to create a toxic, insulting environment.

However I do agree, "being afraid of getting banned for stating an opinion" is a huge issue that needs to be addressed.

Also, I've not really seen any reports about staff? I may have missed it though.

What I meant to say is that if the person is alright with it I see no issue with it. Why should I get banned for calling my friend a faggot? If he is alright with it why would I get banned for it?.  

I meant to say complaints like people have been complaining about it in teamspeak

Edited by Abel
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Abel said:

What I meant to say is that if the person is alright with it I see no issue with it. Why should I get banned for calling my friend a faggot? If he is alright with it why would I get banned for it?.  

I meant to say complaints lol 

That's fair, but if you start throwing it as an insult to random people etc, then you should be banned for it.

Just now, LordWookie said:

That's fair, but if you start throwing it as an insult to random people etc, then you should be banned for it.

Yea Obviously xD 

13 minutes ago, LordWookie said:

So if I was having some lighthearted banter with someone and said the word faggot I deserve to be banned for homophobia? 

That seems harsh...... now if I directly called someone a faggot in an aggressive manner, then yes of course I should be punished.

Iv been called faggot on the server plenty of times, I was not offended nor did I feel the need to take it to an admin. Im a big boy and words on the internet don't hurt me.

Iv seen no negative reports aimed towards admins, iv heard people crying over teamspeak though but whether or not they took it further is beyond me.

3 minutes ago, Smidge Griffkin said:

So if I was having some lighthearted banter with someone and said the word faggot I deserve to be banned for homophobia? 

That seems harsh...... now if I directly called someone a faggot in an aggressive manner, then yes of course I should be punished.

Iv been called faggot on the server plenty of times, I was not offended nor did I feel the need to take it to an admin. Im a big boy and words on the internet don't hurt me.

Iv seen no negative reports aimed towards admins, iv heard people crying over teamspeak though but whether or not they took it further is beyond me.

Honestly, I'd 100% say if you were to use it as an insult, yes. The same as if you were to say the N word.

But honestly, people cry on teamspeak about everything constantly. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Smidge Griffkin said:

Honestly, I don't see the point of getting offended over shit, I mean you aren't doing anyone any good by it

• Like 1

Under no circumstances should a player be banned for sharing their opinion or political views. @CrazyAsian I don't know who exactly you are referring to, however you are free to send me a private message and I'll look into it. There's also a Ban Appeal section here on the forums which is publicly viewable by all members.

As for offensive words, it would be a huge undertaking to make a list of each and every term or phrase we''re not going to allow. No one will get in trouble accidentally, warnings are issued before punishment is taken. However, If a player has consistently proven themselves to be disrespectful to others on the server despite warnings, they will be shown the door.

Unforunately as far as roleplaying goes, I don't have any ideas on how we can make people behave better besides punishing those who fail to roleplay. I can't really change the mentality of players who are here just to kill or mess around.

1 hour ago, Giovanni said:

Under no circumstances should a player be banned for sharing their opinion or political views. @CrazyAsian I don't know who exactly you are referring to, however you are free to send me a private message and I'll look into it. There's also a Ban Appeal section here on the forums which is publicly viewable by all members.

As for offensive words, it would be a huge undertaking to make a list of each and every term or phrase we''re not going to allow. No one will get in trouble accidentally, warnings are issued before punishment is taken. However, If a player has consistently proven themselves to be disrespectful to others on the server despite warnings, they will be shown the door.

Unforunately as far as roleplaying goes, I don't have any ideas on how we can make people behave better besides punishing those who fail to roleplay. I can't really change the mentality of players who are here just to kill or mess around.

Don't worry about the political view point that got cleared up for me yesterday was far more then just that. And i agree that maybe some crazy banned words list would be just that, crazy. and as for role playing as you said no real way to enforce that other then just hoping players behave, thanks for the response :) 

What is TLX?

Takistan Life Xtreme is an Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead Takistan Life roleplaying server initially started in 2014 by original owner DNice.

How do I play?

You can find us on the Arma 2 OA server list as Takistan Life Xtreme or you can connect directly to play.tlx-gaming.com. You will need both Arma 2 and Arma 2 OA installed.

How do I communicate?

Teamspeak 3 is our primary voice communications platform. You can jump on to speak to other players on your faction or to request support from our staff. Use the link below or ts.tlx-gaming.com to connect.

Disclaimer

This website is not affiliated or authorized by Bohemia Interactive a.s. Bohemia Interactive, ARMA, DAYZ and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of Bohemia Interactive a.s.