Sign in to follow this  
Zerix

The mortar situation. ( Rant / Fix )

As we all know, Mortars were recently added to "War Weapons" with added rules stating that we cannot attack certain areas e.g Rasman / Feruz Abad.

I'm against the mortar being added to "War Weapons" because it isn't effective unless it has a spotter. ( Quoted From Captain ( Moderator ) ). The Mortar isn't at all, an unfair weapon and it's really easy to find. I'd like to bring up the issue as well, Every time I used a mortar, Martial Law was never declared and people complained they couldn't find me, when in reality, they could've easily found me using HMMMV Crows or anything with thermals and drove around in deserts. Also, thinking like an insurgent would also help BLUFOR / Opfor a lot. I feel the mortar should be free to use whenever but with some restrictions. 

1. Must have a team of 3. 1 gunner, 1 Spotter and 1 person to protect the mortar.

2. Must have an admin authorize the use of mortar, Reason for Mortar must be a valid reason.

3 Mortars have a 40s timer on each launch. A Global Message must be provided within 20-30 seconds of that to give innocent players a chance to escape or run for cover.

4. Only 1 Mortar Team should be out on the field. Each member of the mortar team must Identify themselves to a staff member.

5. 15 minutes for each mortar. After 15 minutes have gone, players must disassemble the mortar and destroy / place it in the middle of nowhere and forget about it.

6. Mortars shall only be used after 120 minutes of server uptime and must not occur within 2 hours after each attack. ( That make sense? Too tired.. )

7. Crossfire rules still apply, If you kill a cop and civies, civies get no comp. But if it's just civies, Comp should be given out to those civies with an additional 200k. Why? This will force the mortar team to effectively use their spotter and make sure they're hitting their targets.

8. Martial Law must be in immediate effect as soon as a mortar message or a mortar hits whenever. A team should be organised to find that mortar team and take them out.

There are many ways to fix this mortar situation, but yet it was still added to the war weapons or vehicles. This is also related to the L39 issue, I've given many fixes there for mortars to be freely used. If the L39s were reverted back from a war vehicle, why is the mortar still a war veh / wep? I find it unfair. No vote was given for the mortars, even though they're easier to find and take out than an L39 -.-

The first thing that must be stated is that Mortars are incredibly powerful weapons. They can easily be used to take out massive chunks of Rasman from 4km away, which not only puts Civilian lives at risk (As usually they are used without a Spotter in their current state), but causes massive amounts of lag due to the destroyed buildings. That being said, I agree that they should be taken off the War list, though much stricter control, as suggested by Zerix, must come into place. I agree with all of the suggestions, though the most important one is suggestion 2, Mortars most definitely need Admin approval before they are put into use.

As this is a suggestion as well as a rant, I shall move it to the appropriate area on the forum

• Like 1

Its not that mortars are op, its that they are cheap, easy to hide, and are just fucking annoying. They will level rasman in a matter of minutes. During war time, mortars are useless. You can buy a 5mil artillery piece on opfor side and sit back at base and use that to shell positions. The mortar is useless during war but it just causes so much chaos that no one wants them in game.

1 hour ago, Chance said:

Mortars = Bad Frames and No RP

Keep Mortars War Weapons

Well then L39s can be readded to war vehicles.

1 hour ago, Zerix said:

Well then L39s can be readded to war vehicles.

That's fine, in my opinion all Jets should be War Vehicles.

Ignoring the L-39's for now, thats a topic for another thread, lets focus in on the Mortar.

We've all seen first hand the raw destructive power of a mortar, cities leveled, everyone hiding in their spawn and a significantly laggier experience for everyone. I fully understand why everybody hates the mortars, but I'd suggest that maybe its not the mortars you hate and more the people who use them.

*EDIT* This is suggested not just for Mortars as specified but rather a blanket rule set for Artillery in general

With this in mind I'd propose the following:
1)   Mortars MUST operate with a two man team, one on the mortar and one spotting targets.
      a) Mortar strike markers must be placed by a spotter on GLOBAL channel on the map.
      b) Mortars must ONLY be fired on the markers.
      c) Only MILITARY targets can be targeted (Military vehicles, manned checkpoints, weapons emplacements).

2)   Mortars must only be used between up-time of 120minutes and 240 minutes.

3)   Mortars must identify themselves to staff via a poke on teamspeak, and must wait until a reply is given before an attack.

4)   Only ONE mortar is to be out per faction at any given time.

5)   Strikes on Rasman require a message in GLOBAL, something to the tune of "Mortar Strike Incoming Rasman" BEFORE you fire the shell.

6)   Once a target has been destroyed or five minute's since the first strike, whichever comes first, you MUST stop firing.

7)   BLUFOR, OPFOR, INDEP and PMC are required on teamspeak as is, however should a civilian terrorist use a mortar, they must also be on teamspeak.

In Addition:
Mortar's should NOT be included under the crossfire rule. ALL civilians killed by a mortar strike must be compensated in full, a successful strike with a good spotter will only hit MILITARY targets. This is to discourage the use of Mortars on built up cities or anywhere near civilians.

Thank you all for reading

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Chance said:

That's fine, in my opinion all Jets should be War Vehicles.

i think no L39 shouldnt be war vehicle becouse it has just confetti rockets :) and weak armor and slower than other jets

8 hours ago, Captain said:

Ignoring the L-39's for now, thats a topic for another thread, lets focus in on the Mortar.

We've all seen first hand the raw destructive power of a mortar, cities leveled, everyone hiding in their spawn and a significantly laggier experience for everyone. I fully understand why everybody hates the mortars, but I'd suggest that maybe its not the mortars you hate and more the people who use them.

*EDIT* This is suggested not just for Mortars as specified but rather a blanket rule set for Artillery in general

With this in mind I'd propose the following:
1)   Mortars MUST operate with a two man team, one on the mortar and one spotting targets.
      a) Mortar strike markers must be placed by a spotter on GLOBAL channel on the map.
      b) Mortars must ONLY be fired on the markers.
      c) Only MILITARY targets can be targeted (Military vehicles, manned checkpoints, weapons emplacements).

2)   Mortars must only be used between up-time of 120minutes and 240 minutes.

3)   Mortars must identify themselves to staff via a poke on teamspeak, and must wait until a reply is given before an attack.

4)   Only ONE mortar is to be out per faction at any given time.

5)   Strikes on Rasman require a message in GLOBAL, something to the tune of "Mortar Strike Incoming Rasman" BEFORE you fire the shell.

6)   Once a target has been destroyed or five minute's since the first strike, whichever comes first, you MUST stop firing.

7)   BLUFOR, OPFOR, INDEP and PMC are required on teamspeak as is, however should a civilian terrorist use a mortar, they must also be on teamspeak.

In Addition:
Mortar's should NOT be included under the crossfire rule. ALL civilians killed by a mortar strike must be compensated in full, a successful strike with a good spotter will only hit MILITARY targets. This is to discourage the use of Mortars on built up cities or anywhere near civilians.

Thank you all for reading

These sort of restrictions are more feasible. I think with these restrictions Mortars would be ok, maybe if they were used as a negotiation device? (i.e. Give money, release a prisoner, etc.) The Compensation rule would probably discourage some of the newer, poorer people from using mortars.

Edited by Chance

The way I imagine a mortar is to be used, and the way I did use it, was to disrupt checkpoints and send them running for cover while insurgents sneak in, to disable and destroy high value targets that pose a significant threat such as a stryker or crows, and as area denial, mortar between insurgent friendlies and the enemy faction to distract. There is no excuse for using a mortar blindly, and no excuse for civilian casualties.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Captain said:

The way I imagine a mortar is to be used, and the way I did use it, was to disrupt checkpoints and send them running for cover while insurgents sneak in, to disable and destroy high value targets that pose a significant threat such as a stryker or crows, and as area denial, mortar between insurgent friendlies and the enemy faction to distract. There is no excuse for using a mortar blindly, and no excuse for civilian casualties.

Im pretty sure they are mainly for mass collateral damage not to just sneak players in. No one uses a mortar as a distraction.

12 minutes ago, Rawnosaur said:

Im pretty sure they are mainly for mass collateral damage not to just sneak players in. No one uses a mortar as a distraction.

I've done that. Successfully. Several times.

• Dislike 1

Sign in to follow this  

What is TLX?

Takistan Life Xtreme is an Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead Takistan Life roleplaying server initially started in 2014 by original owner DNice.

How do I play?

You can find us on the Arma 2 OA server list as Takistan Life Xtreme or you can connect directly to play.tlx-gaming.com. You will need both Arma 2 and Arma 2 OA installed.

How do I communicate?

Teamspeak 3 is our primary voice communications platform. You can jump on to speak to other players on your faction or to request support from our staff. Use the link below or ts.tlx-gaming.com to connect.

Disclaimer

This website is not affiliated or authorized by Bohemia Interactive a.s. Bohemia Interactive, ARMA, DAYZ and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of Bohemia Interactive a.s.