Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MadVlad

Unpopular Idea: NUMEROUS OPFOR LEADERS

Hello,

It's the King of Unpopular Opinions here so go ahead and drop a thumbs down.  Anyways, I've been seeing a huge debacle unfolding with the OPFOR leadership position.  Quite honestly, I think it should be a handful of individuals who meet requirements and are therefore "leaders."  Kane is not a bad guy by any means and many support his leadership including myself, but I think it is a possible solution to the problem if there were just numerous leaders.  At the end of the day, if the players want a leader, they'll pick one.  A leader shouldn't be assigned, they should be recognized by those they play with.  THIS WOULD FRACTURE OPFOR, but you have to remember that an organized OPFOR really isn't OPFOR.  It's supposed to be a rugged group of players, yes A HIERARCHY should exist, but I think the Colonel position should just be split up for numerous people.  Now, if we can get a good amount of support from the entire server from Kane, then ditch this idea.  But if you don't like the idea of any 1 person, then you should consider it.  I think it would be vital to have just numerous subfactions with equal ability/permission/authority/status for OPFOR and let the groups compete for members.  Yet again this idea is theoretical, I do not entirely endorse it but want you guys to just think about the turmoil that is brewing.

3 hours ago, MadVlad said:

Quite honestly, I think it should be a handful of individuals who meet requirements and are therefore "leaders."

[...]

but I think the Colonel position should just be split up for numerous people.

There will be multiple leaders in the sense that responsibilities and powers will be delegated down the chain of command, but at the end of the day there needs to be a single person at the top who can make a final call where necessary. The Major and Captain ranks will be the ones likely managing the faction from a wide point of view - at the direction of the Colonel. Their orders would theoretically be carried down through junior officers/lower NCOs.

3 hours ago, MadVlad said:

At the end of the day, if the players want a leader, they'll pick one.  A leader shouldn't be assigned, they should be recognized by those they play with.

I think the players do want a leader since they have been asking about whitelisting/ranking for a long time. In addition, the leader isn't assigned if they're publicly running for the position and getting voted in. At this time, Kane has been the only person to submit his candidacy so it seems no one else is interested in that role. Furthermore, if choosing to have a leader was optional in-game, it would defeat the purpose as people who want to dick around will just ignore the directions of their commanders.

I explained much more in detail on Kanes app for leader why I dont think the one leader thing is a good idea either so I'm not gonna write that again but basically I agree with vlad a little, I dont think there should be one "leader" of a faction, especially a staff member.

No offense to Kane but the whole voting thing is a joke, Kane made the whole thing on the forums and he knows he is going to win even if someone else did run, we all know that. 

To the point of commanding players and following directions which I saw in gios post, I don't believe that should be a thing. I am heavily against forced roleplay, especially a staff member in a position to boss players around on the server and govern strictly how they play the game and if they were to say goof off or do what they want to because it's a game they run the risk of getting in trouble by their dictator who Is also a staff member with powers to discipline on the server. 

Overall, I don't like it at all, I don't like the dictator idea but especially the fact that Kane is a staff member with power. 

Obviously there’s going to be a chain of command so there’s really no need for “multiple leaders” when the head of the faction doesn’t hold all the power.

Just now, Genix said:

Obviously there’s going to be a chain of command so there’s really no need for “multiple leaders” when the head of the faction doesn’t hold all the power.

Ye, chain of command is necessary.  A lot of people (at least my friends and I) don't really like to be bossed around.  I'm just concerned that some of the people will be an issue.  What I think should happen is the overall authority be delegated to players.  I think that leaders are really just there for mobilizing your side, authorizing war, and cross border ops.  I don't think there should be much else, for example I don't think we should have to beg a leader to be able to cross the border and terrorize the BLUFOR and MILITIA within the rules. 

I don't really know what to say here,i guess yeah that might be nice.

I just follow orders from whoever has the highest authority. ¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯

2 hours ago, JUDGE said:

To the point of commanding players and following directions which I saw in gios post, I don't believe that should be a thing. I am heavily against forced roleplay, especially a staff member in a position to boss players around on the server and govern strictly how they play the game and if they were to say goof off or do what they want to because it's a game they run the risk of getting in trouble by their dictator who Is also a staff member with powers to discipline on the server. 

It was never about being a milsim, but there needs to be a degree of coordination and direction to BLUFOR and OPFOR so they're not just a bunch of headless chickens running around. Proper roleplay often doesn't occur as a result of the lack of teamwork.

2 hours ago, JUDGE said:

No offense to Kane but the whole voting thing is a joke, Kane made the whole thing on the forums and he knows he is going to win even if someone else did run, we all know that.

Is it Kane's fault that the majority of OPFOR likes him and no one wants to run against him?

Not to be rude but, if you don’t think you can follow some simple orders from whoever your leader is, then you shouldn’t really be playing OPFOR. I understand it’s not a milsim  but still.

2 hours ago, MadVlad said:

A lot of people (at least my friends and I) don't really like to be bossed around. 

9 minutes ago, Genix said:

Not to be rude but, if you don’t think you can follow some simple orders from whoever your leader is, then you shouldn’t really be playing OPFOR. I understand it’s not a milsim  but still.

To be fair people just play this game only for an hour or two a day and just want to play with their friends without anyone dictating what they do

22 minutes ago, Giovanni said:

It was never about being a milsim, but there needs to be a degree of coordination and direction to BLUFOR and OPFOR so they're not just a bunch of headless chickens running around. Proper roleplay often doesn't occur as a result of the lack of teamwork.

Is it Kane's fault that the majority of OPFOR likes him and no one wants to run against him?

That's just the problem, in my opinion, your definition of "proper" roleplay may be very very different than someone else's or they may just want to play the game and not worry about being told what to do by some guy the entire time they play a faction, I've seen this with groups of friends that do their own thing and have fun and their "leader" scolds them. 

18 minutes ago, Mez said:

To be fair people just play this game only for an hour or two a day and just want to play with their friends without anyone dictating what they do

I know. I meant just like if the head OPFOR life suggests something to you or the like you should just do it. Otherwise there’s no reason to have a chain of command.

39 minutes ago, Genix said:

I think you need to watch yourself buddy.  Just because you are staff doesn't give you the right to be all high and mighty.  Point is, I don't want to come on after have an excruciating day to get bossed around.  I like to do my thing as OPFOR, man the border, occasionally attempt an assassination.  I like to get my friends to RP, but when you come on and get someone you barely know telling you what to do(not saying anyone does that in particular but more so in general).  You shouldn't be so stuck up, because that will be a downfall for the community and the server.  You guys need to understand that yes, things were great the way they were before but some things need to change.  You can't go banning half of OPFOR because we break small rules occasionally. OPFOR is supposed to be rugged and slightly disorganized.  We want to RP but have so many d$mned constraints on us as is, that it can be difficult to have fun sometimes.  And I don't know about you, I'm a Dean's list student with 17 credit hours + involvement in different clubs/orgs and I'm rushing some business fraternities.  I've got a lot on my plate, it's fair to say I get on to unwind as do many, there should be an OPFOR option that doesn't require you to be someone's servant.  That's why I'm creating FSVB.  People can join, if they act under FSVB they don't have to be in the mix with everyone else and can do more specialized tasks, it will be laid back but with more RP encouraged. People don't want a domineering figure, sometimes people just want to be left alone.  People let these "ranks" get to their head and they can get nasty (this is going off previous Taki Life experience, not necessarily current).  Just take a step back, stop seeing this as a real life position, and see this as a game where we are all just trying to have fun. :)

The role of Leader carrys a connotation that your game play is gonna be controlled by this one dude and that is a very narrow view of that role. As a Leader in a faction you provide a stable platform from which organised roleplay situations can be made. If your looking to have a "Good time with friends" no ones stopping you. Your a detachment from another battalion or whatever use of RP accuss you want so long as you still follow server rules then there shouldnt be a need for a higher up giving you orders.

The other role of faction Leader is to be a public figure which is there to help all the new recruits learn the server and what it means to be one for their faction. This helps take a lot of the little simple things a staff would take time to do.

e74.gif

8 minutes ago, SlimBone said:

As a Leader in a faction you provide a stable platform from which organised roleplay situations can be made. If your looking to have a "Good time with friends" no ones stopping you. Your a detachment from another battalion or whatever use of RP accuss you want so long as you still follow server rules then there shouldnt be a need for a higher up giving you orders.

The other role of faction Leader is to be a public figure which is there to help all the new recruits learn the server and what it means to be one for their faction. This helps take a lot of the little simple things a staff would take time to do.

So if I'm told to do something by a leader I can just tell them to buzz off and still play normally?

14 minutes ago, Mez said:

So if I'm told to do something by a leader I can just tell them to buzz off and still play normally?

Yeah. But buzz off wouldnt be my choice of tone. Remember everyone wants more RP so dont go picking unnecessary fights.

i think some people are kinda missing the point why we are trying to put in a chain of command its not to boss players around but to organise the factions to stop random counts  of rdm/vdm and just over  all rule break the leaders will be there to overwatch blufor/opfor so they dont go doing  stupid shit it wont be turned into a milsim where you have to obey commands they will be  more there to help their  players of their faction and answer questions they have. 

4 minutes ago, Zen said:

i think some people are kinda missing the point why we are trying to put in a chain of command its not to boss players around but to organise the factions to stop random counts  of rdm/vdm and just over  all rule break the leaders will be there to overwatch blufor/opfor so they dont go doing  stupid shit it wont be turned into a milsim where you have to obey commands they will be  more there to help their  players of their faction and answer questions they have. 

Ireland unfree shall never be at peace

25 minutes ago, SlimBone said:

Yeah. But buzz off wouldnt be my choice of tone. Remember everyone wants more RP so dont go picking unnecessary fights.

Solid plan boss. Just use my Marine skin and say I'm a scout not affiliated with the police

12 minutes ago, Mez said:

Solid plan boss. Just use my Marine skin and say I'm a scout not affiliated with the police

So long as thats the role you wanna play.

1 hour ago, MadVlad said:

I think you need to watch yourself buddy.  Just because you are staff doesn't give you the right to be all high and mighty.  Point is, I don't want to come on after have an excruciating day to get bossed around.  I like to do my thing as OPFOR, man the border, occasionally attempt an assassination.  I like to get my friends to RP, but when you come on and get someone you barely know telling you what to do(not saying anyone does that in particular but more so in general).  You shouldn't be so stuck up, because that will be a downfall for the community and the server.  You guys need to understand that yes, things were great the way they were before but some things need to change.  You can't go banning half of OPFOR because we break small rules occasionally. OPFOR is supposed to be rugged and slightly disorganized.  We want to RP but have so many d$mned constraints on us as is, that it can be difficult to have fun sometimes.  And I don't know about you, I'm a Dean's list student with 17 credit hours + involvement in different clubs/orgs and I'm rushing some business fraternities.  I've got a lot on my plate, it's fair to say I get on to unwind as do many, there should be an OPFOR option that doesn't require you to be someone's servant.  That's why I'm creating FSVB.  People can join, if they act under FSVB they don't have to be in the mix with everyone else and can do more specialized tasks, it will be laid back but with more RP encouraged. People don't want a domineering figure, sometimes people just want to be left alone.  People let these "ranks" get to their head and they can get nasty (this is going off previous Taki Life experience, not necessarily current).  Just take a step back, stop seeing this as a real life position, and see this as a game where we are all just trying to have fun. :)

You're not going to get bossed around buddy. This whole thing is meant for better structure. For your information, I don't think of myself as higher than anyone because I'm staff, but from a man to man standpoint I'd like to be treated with some respect buddy. I understand being stressed and everything, but trust me, I don't think they'll make it that bad in terms of forcing you to do things. If I seemed to be acting as "high and mighty" as you called it in any of my other responses, I apologize, that is not what I'm trying to be at all. Have a nice day friend.

23 minutes ago, Genix said:

You're not going to get bossed around buddy. This whole thing is meant for better structure. For your information, I don't think of myself as higher than anyone because I'm staff, but from a man to man standpoint I'd like to be treated with some respect buddy. I understand being stressed and everything, but trust me, I don't think they'll make it that bad in terms of forcing you to do things. If I seemed to be acting as "high and mighty" as you called it in any of my other responses, I apologize, that is not what I'm trying to be at all. Have a nice day friend.

But is structure in the nature of OPFOR? Is OPFOR OPFOR with rigid structure?

10 minutes ago, MadVlad said:

I don't really understand what you're asking but, I'd say every faction needs structure to function well.

9 minutes ago, MadVlad said:

Doesn't need to be "rigid structure" but there needs to be something. Even disorganized militaries like the TLA need a degree of hierarchy. 

What is TLX?

Takistan Life Xtreme is an Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead Takistan Life roleplaying server initially started in 2014 by original owner DNice.

How do I play?

You can find us on the Arma 2 OA server list as Takistan Life Xtreme or you can connect directly to play.tlx-gaming.com. You will need both Arma 2 and Arma 2 OA installed.

How do I communicate?

Teamspeak 3 is our primary voice communications platform. You can jump on to speak to other players on your faction or to request support from our staff. Use the link below or ts.tlx-gaming.com to connect.

Disclaimer

This website is not affiliated or authorized by Bohemia Interactive a.s. Bohemia Interactive, ARMA, DAYZ and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of Bohemia Interactive a.s.