canadianbacon22

NATO Faction - Things to come

Hello everyone!

My name is Canadian Bacon, and I will be your NATO Major for the time being. A bit about myself for those who don't know me. I've been a long time TLX Community member. I first joined the Community in Late 2014 and became a Staff Member in early 2015. I've been here through all the generations; from the OG days until now.  I've been a Moderator, Admin, Developer - you name it. I left the community behind in mid-2017 when I joined the Canadian Armed Forces. Despite many setbacks in training (and being separated from technology for months), I am back here to stay as much as I can.

My main goal as NATO Major is to provide a role-play military faction for the server. NATO will hopefully become a full military force on the ArmA 3 server. This means no more playing Cops and Robbers and actually being soldiers. Myself, and along with the Command Team, hope to bring some solid military action for you ladies and gents. We plan on reforming the dynamic into something a lot more enjoyable, a lot more action, and a lot less bullshit.

NATO will be a white-listed faction. In order to join, you will have to go through some training. This is for quality control to make sure everyone is on the same page. I still want to keep the faction as a, "drop in an play", team. I don't intend for this to be have some ultra-serious MIL-SIM unit. There will be a rank structure, training requirements, and other rules. But, as stated; this is all for quality control.

Majority of these ideas listed will be implemented on the ArmA 3 server. We still intend to have some ideas implemented onto the ArmA 2 server, such as rank and training requirements. ArmA 2 doesn't have as many endless possibilities as ArmA 3 does, so it will be a lot more relaxed in terms of regulations and such, simply due to the game's nature.

Joining NATO, Ranks, etc.

To join NATO, you will have to send an application and go through some initial training. This training is meant to be really basic, and is designed for new players so they know their way around the mission. There will also be various training offered in many different fields. I'll teach you guys how to efficiently run vehicle checkpoints, using machine guns, explosives, and various other things myself and some other players learned while serving in the military. The Rank structure exists to keep people organized. There will be many missions assigned to the team that you will need to accomplish. The idea behind ranks is that we can people working together in a team fluidly to complete tasks. Like I said before, I still want people to be able to drop in and play.

General Gameplay

Since NATO will be a full military force, they will start doing military things. No more manning a toxic CP Rasman. One of my plans to is to scrap CP Rasman and you guys will be able to setup VCPs in actual places that get activity. Manning FOBs, running supply convoys, hunting terrorists and Russians, etc. There will be a lot more action and things to do. There will also be some coordination between the factions to ensure things carry out smoothly.

As some may have noticed, there will be weapon and vehicles usage restrictions based on your level of training. I intend to keep this very basic, as having a team full of snipers creates a lot less interesting gameplay than having an actual team doing a mission. The RHS Mods also add a ton of weaponry, so we have to decide what is acceptable to use. The last thing I want to see is kids running around with Super High Speed M4 Grenade Launchers, or everyone joining the Anti-Social Snipers Club and the server turns into a giant match of Sniper Elite V4 Multiplayer.

Some other things to list, of the top of my head:

- War: War isn't going to be as random and uncalled for as it is right now. Faction relations will exist off-the-server, and war will be an "organized" event between the two faction leaders. And it will be intense.

- Gameplay: There will be plenty missions and other tasks for NATO to do besides going hunting for Timmy Taliban and his No-Fly list friends.

- Roleplay: Since NATO will be a military force, not police, there will be plenty of things that will run differently. More soldier shit instead of playing Cops and Robbers

- Training: Everything from using a radio, to effectively using a machine gun, to conducting recon missions and sniping Aloha Snackbar from 2km away.

- Checkpoints/FOBs: Besides Border Checkpoints, there will not be any other pre-built structures on the map. You will be doing everything from conducting a recce of the area, securing the site, setting up the CP, actively operating and defending it, tearing it down and going back to base to be debriefed. Things are getting real, yo. FOBs can exist if there is enough people on, and the situation deems it acceptable.

- Economy: The Economy is going to be re-worked for the server. I suggested that there should be a Zeus-like position where someone can give out supplies for NATO to carry out mission. Simply, you fill out a supply request (we call it an ADREP). Then, you send it to the sir (or ma'am, or 'xer, whatever kids wanna be these days) and he'll decide if you really need a bunch of M107s and a pallet of C4 provide you with the equipment through his spawning abilities. It's a suggestion. We'll see what the Admins think about it.

What's to come for ArmA 2

We haven't fully decided on what's going to be coming for ArmA 2, before the ArmA 3 server is up and running. I can tell you now that things such as the rank structure, training, some weapons and some vehicle restrictions will be coming out within the next week. There isn't a whole lot we can do as the game doesn't allow much wiggle room, and we need to stay true to the "drop in and play" aspect that the ArmA 2 server is.

I'm free to any suggestions you guys may have. Feel free to leave any constructive feedback. I really want to thank Giovanni and the Admin Team for giving me the chance to lead NATO. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a massive gong show.

Yours truly,

Canadian Bacon

Edited by canadianbacon22
  • Like 9

On 4/20/2018 at 9:19 PM, John Smith said:

Wow, it's a been a month-long week so far. Can't wait for that update

probably not gonna happen, if Gio promised it a month ago and it hasn't happened yet i doubt it.

5 minutes ago, Jacob said:

probably not gonna happen, if Gio promised it a month ago and it hasn't happened yet i doubt it.

It’s going to happen, that’s a fact. I’m locking this topic for now, post will be made soon.